What Causes Hair Loss? HOW TO CARE FOR OUR HAIR & HAIR FOLLICLES.
For men who start losing their hair, one of the first questions on their mind is – why is this happening?
Everyone knows that a certain percentage of men go bald but not everyone knows the scientific reason behind it. It’s easy to blame factors such as stress and poor diet, and whilst they certainly play a role in the health of your hair, they’re not the primary culprit.
The role of DHT
- Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a male sex hormone and is the main cause of . The reason that balding occurs is due to the hair follicle’s sensitivity to DHT, which causes them to shrink, or ‘miniaturize’. Miniaturization causes your hair to grow for shorter periods as well as becoming lighter and finer. This type of hair is often referred to as ‘peach fuzz’.
- The amount of DHT produced in the body varies from one individual to the next. This is why men lose their hair at different rates and to varying degrees. For some men, balding occurs very slowly over a number of years, whilst for others it’s
- The most widely used drug to treat hair loss – finasteride, is essentially a DHT inhibitor. It works by blocking the production of DHT at a systemic level and therefore halting the advancement of male pattern balding.
Other causes of hair loss
Whilst DHT is responsible for the vast majority of cases of male pattern balding, it’s not the only reason why men lose their hair. Below are some other causes of hair loss –
- Trauma – There are two types of trauma that can cause hair loss. The first is trauma to your hair itself that often occurs as a result of wearing or ponytail or other tight hair styles such as cornrows. The second type of trauma is emotional trauma that can occur due to surgery, illness or poisoning.
- Medication – There are a number of medications that can cause hair loss, especially those for blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.
- Nutrition – It’s been shown that poor nutrition can cause hair to become weak and thin, however complete balding usually doesn’t occur.
HAIR LOSS SOLUTIONS HOW TO CARE FOR OUR HAIR & HAIR FOLLICLES.
Amazing work by Dr. Jones and his team – I just left my barber and he was going on and on about how much my head has changed since my procedure! Its a great feeling...
Daniel Timsted | READ ALL TESTIMONIALS
ALL ABOUT Hair Loss
become an expert
Blog and News
CBD and Your Hair Have you been running out of options when trying new things to improve the health of your hair? There's nothing quite like a day where you feel like your hair's looking full, falling exactly where you want it to, and feeling smooth and healthy. The...read more
Choosing the Best Hair Transplant Specialist So you've decided to board the hair transplant train. You've been toying with the idea for months or maybe even years, and you feel relieved to know your decision's finally been made. It hasn't been an easy decision,...read more
Your hair is an integral part of your identity and self-esteem. When you start noticing thinning hair, it can affect many aspects of your life, and can change the way you feel about yourself. A hair transplant surgery is the best way to permanently regain...read more
What is DHT and How Does it Affect Hair Loss? Have you ever wondered why some people have naturally abundant bountiful locks and others are much less fortunate? Why do some men start losing their hair before they finish high school and why do others gracefully ease...read more
Deciding to undergo a hair transplant is a significant decision, and something you should never take lightly. A well-done hair restoration surgery can provide a long-lasting self-esteem boost and help you feel more confident in your appearance, while one...read more
When it comes to self-esteem, many factors and driving forces can alter our perception of ourselves. Whether it be work-related, such as being declined a project or promotion or gaining weight from new medication, drastic or undesirable circumstances in...read more