Understanding Women’s Hair LossHair loss is a serious problem that affects many women’s self-esteem.
When you look at media coverage, it would be very easy to assume that hair loss is something that only really affects men. Although hair loss is certainly an issue of concern for countless men around the world, it’s also something many women have to deal with, too.
The causes of hair loss in women are varied. It can be due to genetics, stress or an underlying medical condition. Below is an explanation of the types of hair common in women and the treatments that are available.
Causes of hair loss in women
- Androgenetic alopecia, also known as female pattern hair loss, is the most common cause of hair loss in women. Pattern hair loss tends to affect women differently than it does men. Most guys will either have thinning at the crown or a receding hairline. For women, though, pattern hair loss tends to cause diffuse thinning, which means the hair will thin all over the scalp.
- Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss often triggered by stress and can appear very suddenly. It usually causes patchy loss on the scalp, although complete hair loss is also possible.
- Traction alopecia: As the name implies, traction alopecia occurs as a result of putting excessive pressure on your hair strands. This causes them to become damaged and the hair to thin out. The areas most commonly affected are the temples and hairline. Tight hairstyles and heavy hair extensions are typical culprits for this type of hair loss in women.
- Telogen effluvium: Also known as diffuse hair loss, telogen effluvium causes thinning all over the top of the scalp and is usually temporary, although it can be chronic, too. Telogen effluvium is triggered by something that causes to shock to your hair follicles, including events such as childbirth, medications and pregnancy terminations.
Treatments for women’s hair loss
For women, there is nothing scarier than the realization that you’re losing your hair at a dramatic rate. If you’ve come to find bald patches on your scalp or have noticed that your hair is thinning, and you’re not quite comfortable with the idea of a hair transplant, you may want to seek other solutions and speak with a dermatologist.
- Minoxidil is the only treatment available that has been shown to slow down hair loss in women, as well as trigger new growth. It can be applied either through a dropper in the form of a liquid or foam solution. Although it’s not effective for every woman who tries it, minoxidil is the best treatment currently available and has helped countless women slow down their hair loss and regrow hair.
- Creative hairstyles: If you don’t want to take medications or use expensive hair loss treatments, you can opt for a variety of hairstyling techniques that will make your hair appear fuller. See your stylist and opt for a shorter haircut that doesn’t have a central part. Go for a side or zig-zagging part and add soft layers at the top for better volume. Use a wide-toothed comb or brush and avoid towel-drying your hair to prevent hair breakage.
- Hair extensions or hairpieces: If you’re considering hair extensions, it would be best to opt for the clip-on kind to prevent any further damage to your hair and scalp. If your hair breaks easily, it may be better to avoid hair extensions altogether and invest in a wig or hairpiece. Cheaper wigs are usually made with synthetic fibers, while more expensive wigs are made with real hair.
- Instant Hair: Dr. Robert Jones Instant Hair is easily applied by shaking the container of colour-matched hair fibers over your thinning area. The product is made from keratin protein fibers that are charged with static electricity to stay in place even in strong winds and hard rain. The transformation looks so real that the product fibers are virtually undetectable to the human eye. Instant Hair is completely safe to use and works well with other hair growth aids such as Minoxidil, Rogaine or Propecia. The application usually takes less than a minute and is easily removed with a simple hair washing. Find out more at InstantHair.com.
If you’d like more information about female hair loss and how it can be treated, be sure to get in touch.
Dr. Jones has done fantastic work for me. He corrected the work of doctors before him and Im amazed at how successful the procedure turned out. I may be old school, but I like going to any professional my age. The experience definitely matters. Im forever grateful.
Joey | READ ALL TESTIMONIALS
ALL ABOUT Hair Loss
become an expert
Blog and News
Your hair is an integral part of your identity and self-esteem. When you start noticing thinning hair, it can affect many aspects of your life, and can change the way you feel about yourself. A hair transplant surgery is the best way to permanently regain...read more
Deciding to undergo a hair transplant is a significant decision, and something you should never take lightly. A well-done hair restoration surgery can provide a long-lasting self-esteem boost and help you feel more confident in your appearance, while one...read more
When it comes to self-esteem, many factors and driving forces can alter our perception of ourselves. Whether it be work-related, such as being declined a project or promotion or gaining weight from new medication, drastic or undesirable circumstances in...read more
Hair Transplants Simplified Are you or someone you know considering getting hair transplant surgery? If so, you might be wondering exactly how the procedure is carried out or what the timeline looks like for recovery. You also might be curious to know how long it will...read more
Stress And Hair Loss The modern world sometimes feels like it been specifically designed to cause the people living in it as much stress as possible. Early man probably did have it harder, I mean let's face it if anyone of us had to face down a sabre tooth tiger we’d...read more
Protect Your Bald Head From Sun Damage Now that summer has finally hit the western hemisphere, it's time for some fun in the sun! Barbecues at your buddy's place, days at the beach and lounging on your relative's boat with a cold one aren't without their dangers...read more